20 Things That Change After Having a Baby

20 Things That Change After Having a Baby

I remember my friends and relatives asking me if I was sure I wanted to have a baby or not. They used to warn me that my life would change completely. That time I did not know what they really meant and I thought they meant sacrificing their time for kids. I did not mind it and could not having to have babies on my own. After giving birth to two daughters, my life has of course, changed completely and I love it. I would not go back to my old life even for a second at all. Here are some things that COMPLETELY change after you have kids:

1. Every day is a surprise.
  2. You discover an inner strength you never realised you had.
  3. Those extra pounds you gained are absolutely worth it.
  4. You don’t need a clock any more – your baby now sets your daily schedule.
  5. You respect and love your own parents more than anything now.
  6. Any pain your baby suffers feels much worse than your own.
  7. You don’t mind going to bed at 9pm on a Friday night.
  8. Emotions rise so much higher now.
  9. You discover how much there is to say about one little baby tooth.
  10. You look at your baby in the mirror instead of yourself.
  11. Who would imagine you’d be fascinated by the baby poo!
  12. The sacrifices you thought you’d made to have a baby no longer seem that big a deal.
  13. Finally you respect your body.
  14. You realise that a baby’s comforter has magical powers!
  15. You give parents with a screaming baby an “I-know-the-feeling” look, instead of a “Can’t-they-shut-him-up?” one.
  16. Even if you are late, you make time for one more baby hug and kiss.
  17. Most of the time you think you are doing something wrong.
  18. You learn that taking a shower is a luxury, never mind a trip to the hairdresser’s.
  19. You finally get to speak to the shy neighbour in your street, because you’ve got a baby in your arms.
  20. Things that once seemed important are now meaningless.

Woman With Brown Baby Carrier And Little Kid In White Jacket

Have you had a baby yet? What other discoveries have you made about yourself?

1. Annaliese
    August 6, 2018 / 4:57 pm

Awww how sweet! I am not a parent and am years away from even considering it… but some of my friends are starting to be at that life stage soon, so I’m sure they could relate. 🙂

xoxo A

2. August 6, 2018 / 6:20 pm

So sweet. No baby for me yet but I’m looking forward to it. Thanks for the post!

3. August 6, 2018 / 8:29 pm

Wow, this brings back memories! My boys are now teens but I remember the younger years and how life seemed to revolve around them and their needs. Well you know what, it changes some as they get older but they are still a huge part of my life:) well written!

4. August 6, 2018 / 11:13 pm

What a sweet look at the beauty of having a baby. Like you said, you always seem to feel like you’re doing something wrong, so it’s nice to have a little reminder of all the beautiful things you get to experience because you are a parent – thanks for the much needed reminder – I think I will go and give my “babies” some loves 🙂

5. August 7, 2018 / 7:50 am

Some of your points made me laugh and some made me smile because they are really sweet and touching.
    I don’t have kids, but I do like them and get along very well with them, so I understand some of your points, even if I’m not a Mum.

6. August 7, 2018 / 1:01 pm

Aw I love this. And yes I love a shower alone and use it as me time lol

7. August 7, 2018 / 2:27 pm

OMG! This is all so true! Especially the shower! 😀

8. August 7, 2018 / 2:44 pm

Nice post hope i can have a baby soon trying at moment .

9. August 7, 2018 / 3:06 pm

#20 says it all! I don’t have kids but I can imagine all the change and sacrifice, but every mom I know says it’s all worth it.

10. August 7, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Poop has been a topic of conversation every day since my oldest was born six years ago! And I’m lucky to get my hair cut once a year right now 🙂

11. August 7, 2018 / 7:41 pm

I totally agree with the empathizing with other parents. Even with my 10 and 11-year-olds now I still empathize with parents struggling to keep their kids from doing something they aren’t supposed to. Love this!

12. August 7, 2018 / 11:09 pm

This is such a great list! I totally identify with the feeling of making a mistake most of the time. It’s something I really struggle with.

13. August 7, 2018 / 11:38 pm

I can totally relate with number 15! When you already have a child, you’ll definitely be more emphatic and understanding of other people. Children definitely have the way of bringing out the kindness within you. 🙂

14. August 8, 2018 / 2:35 am

These are all so true. There are many things that you think are important before you have a baby, and after having a baby, you realize the most important thing is your baby!

15. August 8, 2018 / 11:45 am

Can’t agree more to all of these. I have learned more about myself since having my first born!

16. August 8, 2018 / 6:14 pm

I agree with some of these, but others don’t sit well with me. I had an abusive mom so #5 is out right away. And #13 actually kind of saddens me that it took a baby to “finally” respect your body. Loving yourself (including your body) is so important and it shouldn’t take a baby to realize that.

17. August 8, 2018 / 11:05 pm

Isn’t it amazing, it feels like this was the only purpose of life, for a while anyways 🙂

18. Kayla
    August 9, 2018 / 12:40 pm

So much changes after having kids. I think the everyday is a surprise is a big one. Another one is that as they grow, new surprises come.

19. August 10, 2018 / 11:30 pm

So true . Can relate to many of these .