The Five Worst Foods For Your Babies Under 3 Year Old

The Five Worst Foods For Your Babies Under 3 Year Old

By the time your child is 6 months old, you can already start introducing her to solid foods. But we are not always sure what is the solid food and what is good for our babies or not. It can be hard choosing solid foods for babies because even if they have teeth from very early age, they are not able to chew properly and they can not digest all kinds of food. My GP was tired of me asking him about what to give to my baby, he would keep saying: ”give her everything you guys eat at home”, but you really can not give children everything we eat at home.

From my experience, I came up with the list of foods & Drinks that is the worst for children under the age of 3 years old:

1. Crisps & Crackers – I found these the worst for my children. Even if my 3 and half year old daughter is able to eat crisps and crackers, my younger one (1 year old) is not. She always wants to grab one from her elder sister and I need to keep an extra eyes on her not to. As she ones tried to chew it and could not and swallowing was really bad experience. Crisps & crackers are usually high in salt. Babies need only a very small amount of salt: less than 1g (0.4g sodium) a day until they are 12 months old. Your baby’s kidneys can’t cope with more salt than this.
    What I use instead: Fresh fruit and chopped vegetables are much better choices if your little one needs a quick snack. Rice cakes and mini-sandwiches would also be better alternatives.chips, crisp, crispy
  2. Sweets and chocolate – It can be hard to keep your little one away from sweets and chocolate. I am not saying that I do not give my children chocolates every other day, but I try to give them as little amount as possible. Especially if their granddad brings some Kinder eggs, it is really hard to resist. I usually give them some sweets after meals, as giving it before meals is really bad, they never want to have food after that, aghhh!
    What I do: I give my children peace of cheese soon after they have had some sweets to neutralise the high level of sugar.

Assorted Pastry on Shelf

3. Fizzy Drinks – These drinks have no goodness in them, and their acidity can damage your baby’s emerging teeth. As well as high levels of sugar, some fizzy drinks, such as cola, contain caffeine. All your baby needs to drink is his usual milk plus drinks of water. Fizzy drinks make babies feel full quickly and they never want to have some food after that.

What I use instead: Instead I got both of my children like water from very early age, water is the best drink and is never                    too much! It is also very good for everyone’s health.

Coca Cola Cans and Glasses With Lines

4.   Take Away food – nothing can be worse for your kids than food that you have not made at home – wether it is some                            vegetables, bread or meat, better give your children homemade food rather than buying it from outside. Also making                        the  same meal at home that you buy outside can be healthier and cheaper.

Selective Focus Photography of Cooked Burger

5. Fruit Juices – You are probably surprised on why this is in my list. There are only few juices that I can trust, those that                      do not contain any concentrates and are full of vitamins. They may sound like a healthy option, but it’s best not to give                      your baby fruit juice, for the same reasons you should avoid fizzy and soft drinks. Fruit juices are high in natural sugars and            are acidic, meaning they can damage your baby’s teeth.

Assorted Bottle And Cans

What I give instead: Milk and water.

I know every mum has different opinions and I would love to hear yours as well, is there anything else you try not to give to your babies ?

1. August 10, 2018 / 9:44 pm

I think these food might even not be good for kids below 6. I did not allow my kind da to eat them except cakes occasionally. Although it is ok for kids above 3 to eat them, but I think there is eating habit issue. Kids should in general learn eating healthy food.

2. Kaitlyn
    August 10, 2018 / 10:32 pm

100% agree with this list. I will most definitely never give my children fizzy drinks or store-bought juice. Thanks for sharing!

3. Tracy @ Cleland Clan
    August 12, 2018 / 6:58 pm

I really appreciate that you gave substitutions for these items. Thanks!

4. August 12, 2018 / 8:01 pm

Great blog. I agree with all of your tips. Thank you!

5. Lauren
    August 13, 2018 / 1:37 am

I agree with your recommendations. I have 3 kids and followed the same guidelines

6. August 13, 2018 / 9:55 am

Very educative post! I think not only babies but adults too should stay away of these foods. Thanks for the share.

7. August 13, 2018 / 12:18 pm

My kids only drink water and milk, and my son who’s now six, hates juice. I feel like it’s a serious win for me! This is a great list, I love that you offer alternatives!

8. August 13, 2018 / 12:20 pm

My son is 7 now and I still avoid these items. Thanks for the substitutions also.

9. August 13, 2018 / 1:12 pm

Love this post and hope to share with a few friends. I personally avoid most of these items and can’t imagine giving them to my little 12 month old. Great suggestions in what to give instead.

10. August 13, 2018 / 1:56 pm

I completely agree with your list. Most of these items aren’t good for adults either. I was really surprised when I found out a few years ago how much sugar there is in fruit juices.

11. Allie
    August 13, 2018 / 2:45 pm

I can completely agree to this for the little ones! It’s hard to keep away from candy especially around holidays for sweets!

12. August 13, 2018 / 4:16 pm

Yes, yes, and yes! I am such a stickler for these. Especially fizzy drinks and fruit juices. Thank you for sharing. I know as parents sometimes it’s easy to just hand our little ones whatever we can, but this is a good reminder that there are other options.

13. August 13, 2018 / 9:49 pm

I agree with all of these except when my guys were little they did have constipation issues and we use Plum Light juice – we tried everything before that. Anyways, I cringe when I see littles drinking Sprite at such a young age. Just craziness in my opinion.

14. Sara Michelle
    August 14, 2018 / 1:02 am

I couldn’t agree with you more! I know it’s all too easy to be ‘judgy’ but I really do hate seeing young children being fed such junk! Yes, there can be the occasional treat, and no, no-one is perfect, but if we can shape good habits in our kiddies when they are little, then it really will help them out later in life. I’m no supermum, but I can say that my 8 year old twins have never had a drink of soda (there is a choice of milk or water in the house) and have never eaten at a fast food place – but then, I wouldn’t eat there myself, so why on earth would I take my children out for a quick burger and fries at the weekend? Each to their own, but……. we have a great way to positively impact our children’s eating habits and i know my daughter would happily go to a restaurant or sushi or salad and have fresh fruits for dessert….. sorted 😉

15. August 14, 2018 / 1:28 pm

You are spot on with this list, and you are so right about the fruit juices. It always amazes me the amount of sugars that are packed into those. just kidding away. It kind of makes me sick to think of how many I drink as a kid, but it makes sense why I have the health issues that I do now.