#BLOGTOBER DAY 4 – National Poetry Day

#BLOGTOBER DAY 4 – National Poetry Day

4 - #BLOGTOBER DAY 4 - National Poetry Day

Thanks to #blogtober, now I know that 4th of October is National Poetry Day in the UK.

What is National Poetry Day?

National Poetry Day is an annual celebration that inspires people throughout the UK to enjoy, discover and share poems. Everyone is invited to join in, whether by organising events, displays, competitions or by simply posting favourite lines of poetry on social media using #nationalpoetryday.

National Poetry Day was founded in 1994 by the charity Forward Arts Foundation, whose mission is to celebrate excellence in poetry and increase its audience. The Day enjoys the support of the BBC, Arts Council England, the Royal Mail and leading literary and cultural organisations, alongside booksellers, publishers, libraries and schools.

My favourite poet of all time is William Shakespeare. He was an English poet, playwright and actor, widely regarded as both the greatest writer in the English language and the world’s pre-eminent dramatist.

to celebrate this day, I am sharing with you one of my favourite Sheakspears sonnets from Romeo & Juliet:

The Romeo and Juliet Prologue: A Sonnet

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross’d lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents’ strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark’d love,
And the continuance of their parents’ rage,
Which, but their children’s end, nought could remove,
Is now the two hours’ traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.

Happy National Poetry Day everyone! Can not wait to see who is your favourite poet 🙂

Check our the Day 5 #Blogtober here.

1. October 4, 2018 / 10:20 am

Oh wow! What a blast from the past. I remember this from when I did my GCSE’s more than 20 years ago.

2. October 4, 2018 / 10:28 am

I love this one too. Romeo and Juliet is such a classic. Happy National Poetry Day 😊 #blogtober18

3. October 4, 2018 / 12:17 pm

I love National Poetry Day. I worked in the public library for awhile, and I would always try to think of ways to celebrate the day with patrons. I would make a poetry book display, and one year, I thought about slipping little poems to patrons at the reference desk. Then, I thought that gesture could be taken the wrong way, though lol. As an English major, I think poetry gets misunderstood a lot, and I know that I don’t read or write as much as I should.

Thanks for the idea to celebrate more bookish days in my writing and blog too! I need to keep this in mind.

Love,

Christine of The Uncorked Librarian

4. October 4, 2018 / 5:42 pm

I always thought snippets from Romeo and Juliet were so overrated and unworthy of my time as a teenager when I had to study them… but reading this as an adult, I think I can finally appreciate the words. Thank you for sharing!

5. October 5, 2018 / 6:03 am

Love this play! I did this as my GCSE set text. Oh the memories! #Blogtober

6. October 5, 2018 / 6:05 am

As much as I love the idea of Shakespeare, actually reading his work has never been particularly easy for me. I definitely think it’s better understood from the stage than the page. #Blogtober

7. October 7, 2018 / 1:53 pm

I think I must have been in the only school that did not do Romeo and Juliet for English GCSE so I never got to ever read it 🙁 #blogtober18