#BLOGTOBER DAY 22 – Three Steps To Insta-Perfect Skin
Our Instagram feeds are full of endless shots of perfect, flawless skin. Little wonder you can be left looking at your own face – with maybe redness, blemishes, acne scars, rosacea, uneven pigmentation or fine lines – and wondering why it doesn’t measure up. If you’re wanting a better blank canvas, no amount of filters can hide your skin in real life. The good news is that there are so many effective products and treatments now available that don’t cost the earth. With a consistent routine, clear, glowing skin is very achievable. These three steps will get you started:
You won’t need filters if you treat your skin right. Image licensed under Creative Commons.
From The Outside In
The first place to start with getting your glow on is actually what’s going in your mouth. What we choose to fill our bodies with is quickly reflected in the appearance and condition of our outer attributes like our hair, nails and definitely our skin. Sugar actually damages the proteins that our skin is made up of and causes dullness and lines, and too much salt can dehydrate. So step away from anything processed and add in the following foods for their skin-boosting powers:
- Fruits and Vegetables – it’s not just quantity, but also variety that counts when it comes to getting the maximum amount of benefits from your five a day! Aim to ‘eat a rainbow’ of different colours to support your body with various antioxidants. Carrots are especially beneficial as they contain beta-carotene which will get you glowing. Also seek out oranges and fruits like kiwi which are high in Vitamin C- it boosts your skins production of collagen fibres and firms everything up.
- Green tea – this brew isn’t only magic for the metabolism, it also works wonders for your face, whisking away toxins that dull the complexion, and even offers some UV protection
- Natural oils – eating oily fish, avocado, nuts and olive oil boosts the linoleic acid content of your dermis and this helps to prevent moisture loss from skin cells
Turning To The Professionals
Just like scheduling a haircut, a semi-regular facial treatment can help to amplify the results you get from home and identity and address any minor skin concerns before they spiral. If you have a specific condition, it’s a great idea to get professional support, such as a rosacea treatment to chase away unwanted redness. Visiting a clinic also means access to higher strength versions of products such as retinol, a powerful anti-aging weapon.
Your Daily Regime
A strong selection of quality products is essential to help your skin look it’s very best. We all know that we should be cleansing, toning and moisturising, but more than that, there are some amazing additions that can make all the difference:
- A chemical exfoliant – These may sound daunting, but formulations designed for everyday use are gentle and won’t irritate. Glycolic acid toners like the cult Pixi Glow Tonic will speed up cell turnover and help other products to absorb better
- A quality sunscreen – If you buy just one essential, make it a good sunscreen. You need to protect your skin from both ageing UVA rays and burning UVB, so look out for a broad-spectrum formulation with a high factor. You can even seek out a foundation with added UV to save time – IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream is lightweight, gives beautiful coverage and is packed with skin goodies including SPF 50.