The Best & The Worts Facts Of Being A Mummy Blogger

Blank Pinterest Short 3 - The Best & The Worts Facts Of Being A Mummy Blogger

The Best & The Worts Facts Of Being A Mummy Blogger

My blog’s one year anniversary is coming up in few days and I have been thinking a lot of what we have been through so far. Just a year ago, I really thought that I was going to buy a domain and start writing posts, that people would be standing in the queue to visit my website, ahhh how silly was I? Only if I had known to how much work goes behind all of this.. That is the thing about blogging, you love it, it has a special place in your heart and at the same time there is so much work that has to be done to actually make it work.

After a year of blogging I find the best things about being a mummy blogger for me is that I can be with my kids all the time and the wonderful friends I made. The worst thing is the technical stuff like SEO, links… sometimes I really do not know what I am doing with those 🙂

I asked some of the most experienced mummy bloggers for their views on the best & the worst parts of being mummy bloggers and here is what they’ve said:

Mummy’s Diary

” Best is being able to take my family on wonderful trips and shows which wouldn’t have been possible without my blog.
Worst is the judgements received from other parents who don’t understand just how much hard work goes into blogging ”

Back With A Bump

”Unconditional love. Children love you no matter what, make up free, greasy hair. They don’t care that you can’t sing in tune and I love that a single cuddle can make everything OK”

Emma Reed

”Being able to work as and when I want is great and I love working from home but it is also hard at times especially if your child isn’t sleeping or is ill. Evenings are usually the best time to work but with lots of interruptions, it can make writing hard.”

The Parent Game

”Best is being able to work around child illness, school plays, etc. Worst is juggling what’s ok to share and what might embarrass my kids!”

Mummies Waiting

”Being able to choose my own hours so I can be there for every sports day, party, day trip, holiday etc but having the guilt the week before those things when I need to work extra to give myself time off so I don’t even up behind.”

Welsh Mum

”Best for me is getting feedback from another parent telling me they appreciated what I wrote or that it helped them in some way. This is especially important to me on my maternal mental health posts. The worst is definitely the lowball offers and having to chase up payment from companies who sometimes think nothing of making you wait months after you’ve delivered the work.”

Lylia Rose

”The best and the worst for me is the flexibility it offers. Being a blogger means I am available for all the school runs and appointments, etc, at the drop of a hat. But at the same time it means I am expected to do all of this which interrupts my blogging work. I also only get to work during school hours and evenings, which means I never get a break to relax from either being a mum or blogging.”

The Incidental Parent

”There are lots of things for me but the best is the friends I’ve made. People I wouldn’t have met otherwise who have become like family.’

Mama In Progress

”The best is being able to write exactly how it is – and find out you’re not alone, all mums experience the exhaustion, chaos and general craziness of parenting.
The worst is not being able to keep your laptop open for 5 seconds before your toddler climbs up and closes it!

MyBump2Baby

”The worst is when businesses expect you to write about them for free.”

Adventures of a mum

”The worst is not being able to go for a walk, or on holiday without thinking of content and capturing it on film/photo and social!! But then, that’s always the best part too!!”

Anklebiters Adventures

”The opportunities I’ve been given for my children including holidays and day trips has been amazing”

Zac’s Story

”The best bits: Having a place to document our adventures and life and a place to vent! Lots of friendships made with other mums. Downside: The pressure of social media. Not having enough time to dedicate to your blog so its never “perfect” Judgement from other mums.”

Easy Crafts for Kids

”The best: I love that I can support my family and have flexitime. The worst: other school parents think you have all this free time to look after their kids.. having said that , the latter has settle down a little and doesn’t happen anymore!!”

As you see, all parenting bloggers agree that as much as joyful it is to be a blogger, it is definitely very hard. If you are in 9-5 job, you know you will be coming home and you won’t have to do any work in the evening, but being a mum blogger means working 24 hours. Yes, literally 24 hours! For me personally, I do my blog work at late nights when kids are already in bed. My elder one is in nursery for few hours only during the afternoon, so that time I need to put the little one for nap. By the time little one is asleep, it’s time to pick up elder one 🙂

Anyway, my point is that it is not easy as other people describe. There are lots of fact sheets online as to how much money people make by blogging and how fast you can grow. For me personally, I just love writing and sharing my life stories. And if one day this becomes my full-time job, of course I will be happy 🙂

If you are mum and thinking of starting a blog, please do not be discouraged if I say it is hard. Yes, it takes a lot of learning and effort, but if you love writing and sharing your true and honest stories, then just go for it. I am sure you will meet some amazing people and have great opportunities.

I hope you enjoyed reading this post! Please share your thoughts in comments.

1. February 18, 2019 / 1:36 am

As a mommy blogger who’s only been blogging for a few months, I agree with everything. Nothing beats being at home with your babies, but it is definitely a lot to learn! I’m glad I made the step to blog though. Love it!

2. February 18, 2019 / 2:10 am

Yup, this is so true! I try to live in the moment and attempt not to always take photos, but sometimes I just can’t help it! And yes, I am asked to work for free many times. I always give my rates, and then I either don’t hear back or I’m told there isn’t a budget. Yet they still want me to work for free.

3. February 18, 2019 / 11:23 am

What is most challenging for me is that people expect me to be apologetic when I talk about the struggles of being a mom, and I don’t understand why. I just have to be honest and why is that so hard to understand.

4. Dalene Ekirapa
    February 18, 2019 / 1:39 pm

I also hate it when brands expect me to write for them for free. I never fall for that honestly; unless there is another form of compensation involved and I’m so in love with the brand.

5. February 18, 2019 / 2:55 pm

There are so many ups and downs to being a blogger isn’t it there. No matter the niche you are in, it’s interesting to hear what Mummy bloggers find as ups and down.

6. Sneha Surana
    February 18, 2019 / 4:01 pm

This is a lovely perspective of a mum blogger. Never imagined most of these challenges and the positive aspects. Great blog. Thanks for sharing.

7. February 18, 2019 / 4:20 pm

I guess there are positives and negatives to everything. I think that a lot of the people who are critical are actually just jealous. Even if they think you don’t put a lot of work into it, if you’re making money and it’s so damn easy why don’t they go do it too? Ya’ know? Anyway, I think it’s great that you’ve found something you can do for yourself and for your family that works with your needs/schedule.

8. February 18, 2019 / 4:37 pm

On the one hand, maybe who knows, if I could go back and when I was young the bloggin existed maybe I wanted my mom to do it

9. February 18, 2019 / 6:50 pm

Being a blogger, I can relate to many of those. Because a lot of bloggers whether lifestyle, mum or fashion go through the same; Chasing late payment is the worst. But you also get fantastic opportunities! so annoying when people don’t get the work that goes in a blog

10. February 18, 2019 / 7:29 pm

I agree that the best is being able to stay home with my kids and be there for my family. Blogging is definitely hard work, but the pros of it far outweigh the cons for me.

11. February 18, 2019 / 11:07 pm

There’s a lot of negatives and positives to every blogger. But I think, that will help us improve more.

12. Gavin
    February 19, 2019 / 12:56 am

I’m a stay at home dad/blogger too and to me the worst thing is trying to squeeze 1000 toddler activities in, get the housework done and maintain your blog professionally.

13. Anshula
    February 19, 2019 / 1:43 am

I have great respect for mommy bloggers! It must be so hard to balance everything – both a business and kids.

14. February 19, 2019 / 2:18 am

Should your motive here is to learn paintings available for sale Melbourne or paintings for sale Brisbane, unfortunately
    however you can’t find it here. If this is an issue of yours too,
    then you definitely should learn regarding the best ways to procure such things.
    Matisse also became the king with the Fauvism and was famous
    inside art circle.

15. February 19, 2019 / 2:57 am

There are so many mommy bloggers, I believe it is really hard in this line to beat the SEO and stay at the top.

16. February 19, 2019 / 10:41 am

It is so amazing to read all that feedback in one blog post. I think it is time for a mom bloggers union, lol! Just kidding! I really wished that blogging was so acceptable when my kids were young. Life would be so different.

17. February 19, 2019 / 6:36 pm

I couldn’t agree with you anymore! Mothers go through a lot, and we should learn to appreciate the work they do.

18. Cindy Gordon
    February 19, 2019 / 6:48 pm

Being a mommy in general means you’ll be working 24 hours a day seven days a week. It’s worth all the effort no matter what!

19. Alexandra Cook
    February 19, 2019 / 8:20 pm

I’m not a mommy blogger, however, I know many people who are. It definitely is a big job just being a mommy alone much less adding a blog in the mix.

20. Kiwi
    February 20, 2019 / 1:11 pm

Im not a mommy blogger yet but I see all of the great perks that come with it. Its also hard work no matter how glamorous it looks it is work!

21. February 20, 2019 / 2:15 pm

Hmmm the worst for me are the bashers. And these are not mommies at all. These are young men that I wonder why they hate me when they are not even my market! hahaha

22. Monidipa
    February 20, 2019 / 3:07 pm

These facts are so real and true. Though I am not a mom blogger but I agree with u here on many points.

23. February 20, 2019 / 4:34 pm

I could see businesses assuming you will write for them for free. I have friends who think I should edit things for them for free

24. February 20, 2019 / 8:42 pm

I love being a mommy blogger because I have flexble hours and I get to take care of my kids at the same time.

25. February 21, 2019 / 3:40 pm

Yeah I am with the downside being people don’t feeling like you are doing any work to get what you get. It’s a lot of work between taking pictures, writing, editing, promoting, etc. Tons of work involved and a bit insulting when they think you are doing nothing. I suppose they think it’s like sending out a picture on Instagram without realzing how much work you do to craft that one picture.