Playgroups & Prosecco by Jo Middleton (Slummy Single Mummy)

Play Groups Prosecco - Playgroups & Prosecco by Jo Middleton (Slummy Single Mummy)

Playgroups & Prosecco by Jo Middleton (Slummy Single Mummy)

Jo Middleton from Slummy Single Mummy has released a book – Playgroups & Prosecco.

This was such a great news to me as I have been her blog reader for a very long time. I remember when I first found her blog, I spent the whole night reading the posts. Her stories were familiar and I thought I could connect with her. Slummy Single Mummy was one of the reasons to why I started blogging in the first place and I have mentioned it in my posts before. Believe it or not, I always thought that she had a style of writing that she would release a book one day!  I really wanted to be one of the first to read her novel and here I am, writing this post after having read the book.

Playgroups & Prosecco is almost 400 pages debut novel where Frankie tells her one year story starting from 1st of January 2018 to 31st of December 2018. When I started reading this book, I just wanted to read it all in one go, but I physically could not with so many things going around. I just could not wait to get back to reading it each night.

Frankie loves Prosecco, she can not wait to have some ”me-time” in the evenings which most of the time does not work out and instead she has to do the cleaning of the juice spills. When she realises that her daughters have more social life than she does, she decides to change things. Frankie often refers to @simple_dorest_life, the popular Instagram mummy account in the book, as to how #blessed her life is while sneaking into the back garden when kids are watching Disney Channel. She would be scrolling through her Instagram which would make her feel so bad about her own life. Looking at the Instagram mums with perfect husbands and almost perfect lives, she accidentally forms the group of single parents. They have really interesting stories later together.

My first cry was when once Ian, (ex-husband) brought the kids home on the evening and she could smell a smell of him. She still thinks if it was the right thing to do to separate with him or not. The reason I was crying here, was because I connected with this story so much. People often say that because of kids, we have to sacrifice and keep trying for our relationships, but sometimes you two just can not be wife and husband. Sometimes you are better as friends and that would not be fair for the relationship and for kids either. I tried fixing my relationship for my kids only for years, not thinking about myself. I guess sometimes we just have to let things and people go to find what we really are looking for in life. Now, back to the novel…

You will have a good laugh about her stories on online dating, re-downloading Tinder, making mummy friends and what not. You will also see the downs of the parenting, disappointments from applying for jobs. I obviously can not write everything here from the novel, but Playgroups & Prosecco will make you laugh hard and cry hard. This is a kind of book where you live the authors life, you live in the moment with her. If you are looking for a very honest, familiar, amusing stories from a single mum with two children, then this book is definitely the one you need to read. Especially if you are a single mum.

I can not get enough of this novel, it now has a special place on my coffee table and I find myself at times flipping through the pages again.

Playgroups and Prosecco is out on 1st March. You can pre-order it here.

Jo Middleton has been blogging at Slummy Single Mummy since 2009. She has two daughters and lives in Somerset. You can find her on Twitter @mummybloggger, Instagram & Facebook @slummysinglemummy or at www.slummysinglemummy.com

1. February 27, 2019 / 12:23 pm

This sounds like a great book. I am usually not one to read books, but I need to change how social I am too in person as I’m not very. Thanks for the recommendation, I will have to check her blog out too.

2. February 27, 2019 / 1:24 pm

This sounds like a book I’d enjoy. I’ll be adding it to my list for sure. I just love to read.

3. February 27, 2019 / 1:48 pm

Already the title suggests an exhilarating story as real and engaging, you have intrigued me.

4. February 27, 2019 / 1:52 pm

I can understand watching other family posts can affect single parents to some extent. I think parents should not give an excuse for kids and continue to be in an unwanted relationship. Unhealthy marriage relationship affects kids growth too. I could say this based on experience.

5. February 27, 2019 / 4:31 pm

It sounds like a great book. I’m always looking for new reads and it’s crazy that March 1st is just right around the corner.

6. Jesusa Gilliam
    February 27, 2019 / 11:57 pm

This sounds like a really good book. I’m not much of a reader but this looks like something I would enjoy. Thank you for sharing.

7. February 28, 2019 / 3:21 am

This looks like a great book, very interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing, i am sure it is great read.

8. Heidi
    February 28, 2019 / 6:36 pm

That sounds like a really fun book. It makes me sad when people read instagram and get depressed about their own lives. We all need to remember that social media shows only the good parts of people’s lives (and often fake parts). We don’t see what’s really going on. Everyone. Everyone has struggles.

9. Dalene
    March 1, 2019 / 9:57 am

It’s always so funny when a new book gets the best of you…I can feel you as a fellow reader. Anyway, it must be funny reading through stories of online dating and the stuff..

10. March 1, 2019 / 5:44 pm

Looks like this book did connect with you! I liked the way this book had become your “night Date” that you would look forward to. Few books do that to us! I remember I started reading “Gone with the Wind” Just before my first year Law exams and it was so difficult to resist reading it 😉

11. March 1, 2019 / 6:22 pm

Oh, that’s my ultimate goal as well. I just wish I can really make a craft of novels in the future. I also started blogging as I love writing, and I know I have a long way to go to adapt a way of writing that is similar to novel/storytelling. That book’s quite interesting to read!

12. March 1, 2019 / 9:26 pm

Guess I will be adding this to my ‘to read’ list. I am always on the lookout for interesting books to read

13. March 2, 2019 / 5:25 am

Sounds like great book I need to check it out from local library. I write food blog still I love to write about memories and experiences in every post.

14. Bindu Thomas
    March 6, 2019 / 7:02 am

This book is really amazing and very interesting to read. Thanks for sharing this post.

15. March 6, 2019 / 11:54 am

Playgroups & Prosecco seems to be a really interesting book. I really like how you felt connected to it while reading and also got so involved that made you emotional. I would love to have this book on my shelf.