The Beauty Checklist for a (Rare) Night Out
Prior to having kids, going out at the weekend was probably a regular habit. However, once the house is filled with little people, getting out on the town gets a bit more complex. Babysitting favours, anyone?
If you’ve got a (rare) special night planned with friends and or your partner, here’s a check-list to make sure you feel your best.
Let’s party like it’s 1999 (and be home by midnight at the latest…)
- Indulge beforehand. If you can find the time, run a bath. Slap on a face-mask. Give yourself a manicure. In short, make an event of it. Spend a while pampering yourself before you get ready for your night out; your state of blissful mental wellbeing will make it all worthwhile.
- Ditch ‘comfort’ clothes. It’s tempting to hide away in comfy sweaters and jeans when you go out with friends. After all, that’s pretty much your daily uniform; why change things now?
Get out of your comfort zone and get dressed up. Even the ritual of choosing an outfit feels refreshingly like being 18 again. You don’t have to go overboard (unless you want to); even a nice blouse and a skirt can make you feel like you again.
- Do your hair. At the very least, spend some time blow-drying your hair. If you’re a dab hand at creating beautiful braids or impressive up-dos, then go for it! Your friends or partner will appreciate that you’ve made the effort.
- Go a little more dramatic with the make-up. If you choose to wear make-up, change your look a little. Add some smoky kohl liner or metallic eyeshadow for a bit of impact. Or, if lipstick’s your thing, what about a bold, red lip? Even nude shades can pack a punch.
- Wear some jewellery. When you have kids, it’s easy to get out of the habit of wearing jewellery. If you’ve ever had one of your earrings tugged on repeatedly by an over-eager child, you’ll know why! However, on your night out, there won’t be a child in sight; so get those magnificent gold hoops back into your ears! Even a statement necklace can totally transform your outfit.
- Get the right fragrance. Perfume can be a great mood-enhancer and can really set the scene for a night out. If possible, choose something different to your everyday fragrance; something that’s a bit more exotic and exciting. You don’t need to spend a fortune, check out Copycat Fragrances for some budget-friendly options.
- Stop checking your phone! It’s natural to feel panicky about going out, especially if your children are young and you haven’t gone out without them before. However, remember this is your special evening. You deserve a chance to unwind and relax. Checking your phone every five minutes will only mar the experience.
A positive mindset is also vital. Sometimes, taking a break from the grind of daily life is the perfect tonic – a chance to reignite a zest for life, and have a great time with loved ones. Don’t feel guilty for having fun…you deserve it!