I’ve been working from home for the last 4 years. First time it felt really strange after having my first daughter. I had very difficult pregnancy, but I managed to get back to work after four months of giving birth, thanks to my mum for helping me with the little one. The second birth was 4 years ago and since then I am working at home mum.
Whether your work day starts at 9am or 9pm like me, when the kids are finally asleep. It does not matter, we have to be ready and motivated to do what we have to do. So here are my top 5 tips on working from home:
- Get out of your pyjamas – I know, I know they are super comfy and I find it so difficult to get out of them. Especially during the lockdown, when the schools are closed and I might not even have to go to the shop for the rest of the day. But, it is important to get in the right mood. For example, imagine you are resting your arms on the duvet on your bed, now imagine resting your arms on your desk, feels different right? That’s what I mean. Just imagine, you are in the office even if you have never worked in the office. Wash your face, change your clothes and get going. If I have to do work at nights, I still cant work from my bed, I somehow find it impossible. I must be sitting on my desk with the glass of water, or cup of coffee next to me. So, let’s show ourselves and our work some respect by sticking to a ‘work uniform’ where possible.
- Find your dedicated office space – Now, let’s find the actual office in your house. For me, it is in the living room where I have an open space and I can control everything from there:) I can see my kids playing around, I can feed them when they want and I can make sure that my laptop is on the far end of the huge dining table so the kids don’t destroy it, again! As soon as I take my laptop out of that table, I feel like loosing the control, I am not sure why, but I think I just got used to the place and even kids call it my office now. Sometimes, if I am on the phone and kids are making too much noice, I take my laptop and go to the bedroom,. But it just does not work for me working from different places. So, please find the space even if it is very small but enough for you to sit comfortably with your laptop.
- Set boundaries with your family members – I know this is the hardest part of working from home especially when you have little ones and they don’t stop screaming for the most of the day. Try to speak with them and explain that you are not on holidays and you have work to do. Try to think about some craft ideas or paining they can do while you work and at the same time they can be next to you. I personally think that if is more important for kids to have their schedule and know what they should be doing for example after breakfast, after lunch or dinner so they can stick to their schedules and you can freely work too.
- Clear away your mess – I know this is another difficult point, but being a mum you are probably an expert cleaning the house in 10 minutes:) I can not do any work if I see that the room we are in is messy, it has to be hoovered and dust taken away. Kids can play and toys can be anywhere but I cant stand the actual mess.. Also, in this point I would suggest you to turn your laptop off by the time your work is done. Try to have one folder for yourself to keep all your documents, pen and important papers in it, as I most of the time loose all the important documents, so keeping them in one place is very important.
- Stay positive and kind to yourself – remember that this is not normal for most of us, just relax and take breaks, drink plenty of water. Be kind to yourself and acknowledge that you might not be as productive as you usually would be, which is absolutely fine.
I hope you find my tips helpful, what would you add?
Good luck guys!