Pregnancy is both an exciting and daunting time, you’re probably feeling plenty of different emotions. To take good care of yourself during this journey, it’s important that you get mentally prepared. These tips can help you to get into a good mindset and feel positive about the road ahead.
1 . Learn what to expect
To help yourself mentally prepare it’s a good idea to learn all about the pregnancy process. There are many common symptoms associated with pregnancy, from hormonal changes to food cravings, nausea and fatigue.
Understanding what your body may go through will help you to mentally prepare and keep calm. There are several deep breathing techniques you can learn to ease nausea, and natural supplements for fatigue. Preparing for pregnancy is about seeking to understand your body, and retaining a sense of calm.
- Establish self-care strategies
Throughout pregnancy it’s common to feel emotionally and physically drained. You might be feeling anxious, or lacking energy. To help yourself feel better it’s vital that you have a few self-care strategies in place. Here are a few suggestions to help you feel better:
- Try practicing pregnancy yoga, it can be useful to soothe aches and pains, plus help you to feel calm and relaxed.
- Take up meditation, it’s a great way to soothe the mind, focus on the positives and raise endorphin levels.
- Some women find hypnotherapy an effective relaxation practice, you might consider a hypnotherapy birth.
- Establish support systems, and lean on those around you for help. Self-care isn’t always about doing everything on your own.
- Get plenty of sleep
Getting plenty of sleep is an essential part of looking after your physical and mental health. To prepare for pregnancy it’s important that you are as well rested as possible. If you struggle to sleep, here are a few ideas that may help:
- Try practicing aromatherapy before you go to bed, smelling scents like chamomile or jasmine can be helpful for sleep.
- Use blackout curtains to make your room as dark as you can.
- Ensure that you have a high quality memory foam mattress to support your back.
- Download sleep apps and try listening to sleep audio tracks to help you drift off.
- Create a nutritious diet plan
To help you prepare for pregnancy, try creating a nutritious diet plan. While you’re pregnant you’ll want to focus on plenty of nutritious vegetables, fruits, healthy proteins and whole-grain carbohydrates.
Creating a diet plan will help you feel relaxed and ensure that you get all the right vitamins, minerals and nutrients. If you need inspiration there are lots of pregnancy diet plans online.
- Tools to help
There are lots of self-care tools that can help you to mentally prepare for pregnancy. You might try journally apps like Reflectly, or mental health apps like Sanity and Self-Care. With the right tools you’ll feel ready for becoming a new mum.
Getting mentally prepared isn’t just about self-care, it’s about organising practical tasks. You’ll want to write a list of all the things you’ll need, from baby clothes to furniture and baby safety gear. For a range of quality baby products take a look at Foryourlittleone.